Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Unwind

As embarassing as it is to say as a 22 year old I have to admit one of my favorite book genres are young adult books. The science fiction and fantasy books that fall into this category are especially my favorite. Dystopian society books seem to be all the rage right now, from the Hunger Games to the Giver, they are sparking interest with people of all ages. One book I found especially fascinating this summer is called Unwind by Neal Shusterman which came out in 2007
It takes place in a society where children aged 13 through 18 are sent to camps by either their parents or the government. These are not fun summer camp but instead harvesting camps where children have all their body parts taken apart to be donated. Now in their society they are not "killing" these children because their body parts are alive in other people's bodies. The book explains why these "harvest camps" came to be and why these children end up there so I don't want to spoil it for you. 
 
Without giving too much away the book follows three teens who have been scheduled to be unwound. This story is about their journey to be unwound and the different reasons why they are there. This is an incredible book that I highly recommend. It is a story you do not want to put down. Overall I would give the book 5 stars.

 
 
(p.s. they're making it a movie)

3 comments:

  1. Tiba, looks like a really good read. I am a firm believer that you should read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Im currently in the middle of two books: Tina Fey's Bossy Pants and WIlliam Manchester's The Last Lion: Winston Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiba I have to say I've never heard of this book but I am definitely intrigued. It kind of reminds me of how I felt when I read a synopsis of the Hunger Games; I couldn't believe children were fighting to the death. But I have to say I was surprised by the Hunger Games, so I'll definitely have to check this out! Thanks!


    p.s. there is no shame in liking young adult books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiba, I am definitely going to look into this! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm a fan of the Hunger Games books too as well as others of that genre. They're always an interesting read. George Orwell's 1984 is a classic.

    ReplyDelete